Design Inclusive Spaces with Accessibility and Universal Design
Gladys Marcus Library
About this Item
- Design Inclusive Spaces with Accessibility and Universal Design
- Originally published as chapter 15 of "Designing Libraries for the 21st Century," by the Association of College and Research Libraries, 2022.
As spaces that are used by a wide range of people, it is important that libraries be built with the needs of a diverse set of users in mind. Without this focus on usability for individuals with varied needs, libraries become spaces that exclude both potential patrons and employees. In addition, many libraries are subject to laws that set minimum legal accessibility standards to ensure that individuals with disabilities are not excluded from spaces and services. It is therefore both ethically and, potentially, legally imperative that libraries focus on inclusion throughout their design process. Unfortunately, all too frequently, topics of accessibility and inclusivity are sidelined during building projects, limiting the options available when they are finally considered.
Through thoughtful design, it is possible to build spaces that are comfortable, welcoming, and inclusive for users and meet any relevant legal requirements. To achieve this, it is important to understand accessibility requirements and best practices, as well as the principles of Universal Design. Taken together, these offer guidance for successful design projects. This chapter introduces these topics, explains how they can improve library spaces, and suggests best practices for integrating them into building projects.
- Library buildings--Barrier-free design
- Libraries--Space utilization
- Universal design
- Libraries and people with disabilities
- In Copyright
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Unless noted otherwise, usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: fc_000002
- Related Materials
- Hickerson H. T. Lippincott J. K. & Crema L. (2022). Designing libraries for the 21st century. Association of College & Research Libraries.
- Open access edition of Designing libraries for the 21st century
- Association of College & Research Libraries
Spina, C. (2022). Design Inclusive Spaces with Accessibility and Universal Design. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/8927
Spina, Carli. Design Inclusive Spaces with Accessibility and Universal Design. 2022. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/8927
Spina, Carli. "Design Inclusive Spaces with Accessibility and Universal Design." FIT Digital Repository, 2022. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/8927