Fashion Design (School of Graduate Studies)
About this Item
- Contributor Names
Kim, Stephanie (Creator, Designer, Creative director)
Ervin, Taylor (Director, Editor, Writer)
Kendrick, Jack (Cinematographer)
Mendel, Hana (Photographer)
Tang, Justin (Production assistant)
Head, Zoe (Model)
Lopez, Fabian (Make up)
- 2022 Fashion Design MFA graduate thesis collection created by Stephanie Kim. Presented on June 8, 2022 at 'Unbound: Fashion Design MFA Showcase.'
- M.F.A. Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York 2022.
- Department: Fashion Design.
- Artist's Statement
- Stephanie Kim's graduate collection "Sapiomatica" is based on the fictional story of a young heroine living in a distant dystopian future. The heroine's life is closely intertwined with machines. She lives amongst toxic waste in an unforgiving industrial landscape. The garments of this collection contain industrial pipes sewn into the seams. Acid-treated radio frequency shielding fabrics, rubber and plastic form the basis of many pieces in the collection. The film that accompanies the collection explores the heroine's escape from her factory job as she emancipates herself from the inhumane servitude on the factory floor and runs towards freedom.
- Stephanie Kim is a Korean-American multidisciplinary artist and award-winning designer. She studied visual communication at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and received her MFA at the Fashion Institute of Technology, studying fashion and costume design. She is a two-time Cannes Young Lion winner for her graphic design works, and her fashion design works have been recognized by the CFDA. Her most recent film, a collaboration with Taylor Ervin, recently premiered at the Berlin Sci-Fi Film Festival.
- In Copyright
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: fd_mfa_000012
- Related Materials
- Designer's website
- Photo gallery
- Unbound: Fashion Design MFA Showcase
Kim, S. (2022). Sapiomatica [Master's thesis, Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York]. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/7660
Kim, Stephanie. Sapiomatica. 2022. Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York, Master's thesis. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/7660
Kim, Stephanie. "Sapiomatica." Master's thesis, Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York, 2022. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/7660