The Freedom of Confinement
Fashion Design (School of Graduate Studies)
About this Item
- The Freedom of Confinement
- 2022 Fashion Design MFA graduate thesis collection created by Shumeng Zhang. Presented on June 8, 2022 at 'Unbound: Fashion Design MFA Showcase.'
- M.F.A. Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York 2022.
- Department: Fashion Design.
- Artist's Statement
- This collection represents our experience with clothes as the second skin and the contrast between masculinity and femininity. It is inspired by Martha Graham's "Lamentation" and the New York dance floor. The collection combines menswear and womenswear elements in a distorted way, by mixing ruffles and bold colors with tailored jackets, shirts, and menswear fabrics. It aims to question gender stereotypes. With stretchable fabrics, the wearer's body is restricted but is still free to move, showing the conflict that a dressed body faces.
- Shumeng Zhang was born and raised in Shanghai, China. She moved to New York and graduated from New York University, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in interdisciplinary studies focusing on marketing, fashion business and art history. Shumeng interned at XUZHI and Bode which led to her interests in craftsmanship and sustainability. She intends to create avant-garde and unconventional designs. Her work is influenced by art history and gender studies. Shumeng's thesis collection was inspired by dancing and club culture, exploring the relationship between fashion and body and the symbolic meanings behind garments.
- In Copyright
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: fd_mfa_000011
- Related Materials
- Designer's website
- Photo gallery
- Unbound: Fashion Design MFA Showcase
Zhang, S. (2022). The Freedom of Confinement [Master's thesis, Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York]. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/7646
Zhang, Shumeng. The Freedom of Confinement. 2022. Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York, Master's thesis. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/7646
Zhang, Shumeng. "The Freedom of Confinement." Master's thesis, Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York, 2022. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/7646