Chasing a Dying River: Ghat 24 Yamuna, Delhi, India
Praveen K. Chaudhry and Souzeina Mushtaq
About this Item
- Chasing a Dying River: Ghat 24 Yamuna, Delhi, India
- Image included in the exhibition, Chasing a Dying River: Ghat 24 Yamuna, Delhi, India, at Gladys Marcus Library, February to August 2023.
- New Delhi, the capital of India, is ranked as one of the most polluted cities in the world. The city is also home to a passing river, the Yamuna, one of the two most sacred rivers in Vedic literature for thousands of years. Besides being the doorway to deep spirituality, the rivers Yamuna and the Ganges have also played a significant role in modern India's political history, religious culture, and economy. Although the river originates from the glacier 20,000 feet above sea level and travels a total length of 855 miles, these images focus on Ghat 24, one of the 32 contiguous historic stairways on the Yamuna river in Delhi. These images provide a glimpse of daily life, including a significant crematorium, a modern highway, a cantilevered subway system, and TikTok creators on this severely polluted river. They also give us a glimpse of human contradictions of deep spirituality and environmental indifference towards a river celebrated since ancient times. Unfortunately, the mega city is now the primary source of pollution in the river Yamuna.
- In Copyright
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Unless noted otherwise, usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: sl_fc_000456
Chaudhry, P. K. (2022-05). Chasing a Dying River: Ghat 24 Yamuna, Delhi, India. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/21726
Chaudhry, Praveen K. Chasing a Dying River: Ghat 24 Yamuna, Delhi, India. 2022-05. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/21726
Chaudhry, Praveen K. "Chasing a Dying River: Ghat 24 Yamuna, Delhi, India." FIT Digital Repository, 2022-05. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/21726