Fashion Design (School of Graduate Studies)
About this Item
- Soft Discomfort
- 2023 Fashion Design MFA graduate thesis collection created by Youna Jin. Presented on September 12, 2023 at 'Uni/Versal: Design MFA Showcase.'
- M.F.A. in Fashion Design, Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York 2023.
- Department: Fashion Design
- Artist's Statement
- Born in Korea, Youna Jin is a ready-to-wear designer whose work focuses on the intersection between gender norms, the body, and the blurred lines of unisex fashion. Originally trained in jewelry design and metalworks, Jin uses progressive pattern cutting and traditional technical fabrics to organically highlight controversial parts of the human body in order to question the sexual and social gaze of the public.
About this Collection:
The thesis question for my collection “Soft Discomfort” is: How can we make fashion more equitable without imposing fixed gender? The biological and social constructs of gender and the body influence the construction and silhouette of garments. The term “unisex” emerged to combat gender norms. While “unisex” was used in the women’s liberation movement to advance sexual freedom, it frequently takes on the structure of making women masculine and men feminine. This tendency perpetuates fixed gender images rather than promoting individual body image.
- In Copyright
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: fd_mfa_000034
- Related Materials
- Uni/Versal: Fashion Design MFA 2023 Graduate Showcase
Jin, Y. (2023). Soft Discomfort. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/124119
Jin, Youna. Soft Discomfort. 2023. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/124119
Jin, Youna. "Soft Discomfort." FIT Digital Repository, 2023. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/124119