OCD and Fashion
Fashion Design (School of Graduate Studies)
About this Item
- OCD and Fashion
- 2023 Fashion Design MFA graduate thesis collection created by Yimeng Zhao. Presented on September 12, 2023 at 'Uni/Versal: Design MFA Showcase.'
- M.F.A. in Fashion Design, Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York 2023.
- Department: Fashion Design
- Artist's Statement
- Born in Beijing, Yimeng Zhao is a fashion designer whose work focuses on the purity of line and form. She believes in reducing everything to the essential while investigating geometric constructions. Patternmaking and craft in construction are central to her process; form is the basis of her love of design. Zhao also believes fashion can be used as a tool to depict and dissect mental health and social issues. Beyond her studies, Zhao has worked in both Beijing and New York and possesses a comprehensive understanding of both markets.
About this Collection:
Nationally, one in 40 adults are affected by obsessive-compulsive disorder. My thesis focuses on my experiences with OCD in order to combat its stereotypes. OCD requires me to be a reductionist—daily rituals are key. Inspired by these habits, I systematically converted them into a system of primary shapes that informed my garments’ geometric volumes. In simplifying the relationship between form and cloth, I abstracted body lines to create the foundational silhouettes. My thesis shows that from difficulty can come beauty.
- In Copyright
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: fd_mfa_000025
- Related Materials
- Uni/Versal: Fashion Design MFA 2023 Graduate Showcase
Zhao, Y. (2023). OCD and Fashion. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123989
Zhao, Yimeng. OCD and Fashion. 2023. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123989
Zhao, Yimeng. "OCD and Fashion." FIT Digital Repository, 2023. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123989