Soft Robotics: Handwoven Fabric with Embedded Circuitry
Andrea Alexander, Alexandra Valdez, Nicole Johnson and Nobuho Nagasawa
About this Item
- Soft Robotics: Handwoven Fabric with Embedded Circuitry
- Contributor Names
Alexander, Andrea (Creator, Designer)
Valdez, Alexandra (Creator, Designer)
Johnson, Nicole (Creator, Designer)
Nagasawa, Nobuho (Creator, Designer)
Goetz, Susanne (Thesis advisor)
- Summary/Artist's Statement
- Group work by 4 students: Andrea Alexander, Alexandra Valdez, Nicole Johnson, and Nobuho Nagasawa. LED/Smart Textile.
- This project explored the concept of embedding functional circuitry into the structure of woven textiles. The components, including LEDs and steel conductive thread, were hand-woven into the fabric using tapestry techniques on a 4-harness table loom.
- Wool yarn, conductive steel thread, Lilypad Sewable Circuitry components, 4-harness Structo table loom, digital weave design software.
- Medium (Terms)
- LilyPad Sewable Electronics
- Digital weaving design software
- Wool (textile)
- Metal thread
- Table looms
- LED bulbs
- Course/Degree Information
- Program/Degree: Textile/Surface Design BFA
- Course: TD204 Designing with Emerging Materials
- Professor(s): Goetz, Susanne
- Academic semester: Spring 2023
- Program semester: Semester 6
- In Copyright
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: sd_000153
Alexander, A., Valdez, A., Johnson, N., & Nagasawa, N. (2023). Soft Robotics: Handwoven Fabric with Embedded Circuitry. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123903
Alexander, Andrea, et al. Soft Robotics: Handwoven Fabric with Embedded Circuitry. 2023. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123903
Alexander, Andrea, Alexandra Valdez, Nicole Johnson, and Nobuho Nagasawa. "Soft Robotics: Handwoven Fabric with Embedded Circuitry." FIT Digital Repository, 2023. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123903