BioBling Bio Embellishments
Brandon Rivera, Ann Galstyan, Jade Ruizsaad, Julia Nordahl and Kimberly Tatarka
About this Item
- BioBling Bio Embellishments
- Contributor Names
Rivera, Brandon (Creator, Designer)
Galstyan, Ann (Creator, Designer)
Ruizsaad, Jade (Creator, Designer)
Nordahl, Julia (Creator, Designer)
Tatarka, Kimberly (Creator, Designer)
Goetz, Susanne (Thesis advisor)
Schiros, Theanne (Thesis advisor)
- Summary/Artist's Statement
- Group work by 5 students: Brandon Rivera, Ann Galstyan, Jade Ruizsaad, Julia Nordahl, and Kimberly Tatarka. Sequins.
- Bio-Bling's mission is to ensure a new generation of material solutions for the circular economy. Our goal is to dramatically reduce the textile industry's environmental impact in order to produce a sustainable alternative for design embellishments to ensure a future of beautiful clothing that is not destructive to the environment. Our research embellishments are dyed or mixed in non-toxic pigments and sealed with a natural solution that is water-resistant, antimicrobial, and self-replenishing. The decorative elements can be produced to react with external stimuli, such as sunlight, to change color or glow in the dark by incorporating chromatic pigmentation to encourage an interactive experience for the user by material. Bio-Bling combines a wide variety of techniques to approach different forms. The sequins and beads create options that differ in shape, density, natural luminosity, and opacity. Overall, the beads offer a viable solution as they are biodegradable and non-toxic.
- This work explores the potential of sustainable yet attractive material and color embellishments that are biodegradable and aim to dramatically reduce the textile industry's environmental impact.
- Gelatin, Mica, Cellulose, other organic and nonorganic composite materials.
- Course/Degree Information
- Program/Degree: International Trade & Marketing
- Course: SC204/TD204 Designing with Emerging Materials
- Professor(s): Goetz, Susanne; Schiros, Theanne
- Academic semester: Spring 2023
- Program semester: Semester 8
- In Copyright
- The copyright for this work is held by its author/creator(s). Usage of this material beyond what is permitted by copyright law must first be cleared with the rights-holder(s). This work has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for this work and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: sd_000152
Rivera, B., Galstyan, A., Ruizsaad, J., Nordahl, J., & Tatarka, K. (2023). BioBling Bio Embellishments. FIT Institutional Repository. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123891
Rivera, Brandon, et al. BioBling Bio Embellishments. 2023. FIT Digital Repository, https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123891
Rivera, Brandon, Ann Galstyan, Jade Ruizsaad, Julia Nordahl, and Kimberly Tatarka. "BioBling Bio Embellishments." FIT Digital Repository, 2023. https://institutionalrepository.fitnyc.edu/item/123891